This was the first shelf I made for displaying my LEGO collection. After my first iteration of the shelf (see the second picture), I realized that I needed to make a couple of modifications. First, the shelf looked weird without a back on it. I decided to get a 1/4-inch sheet of plywood. My wife made the suggestion to paint it orange so it would go with the “JL” bookshelves already in my office. The orange offered a nice contrast to the dark grey shelves. Second, the 17 inches in between each shelf was too much, especially since I only had one set that was even close to filling in the vertical space. There was a lot of wasted space. I decided to make smaller shelves and add them below each of the larger shelves.