Digital marketer by day. Woodworker by night.
I live with my wife and kids in Louisville, Kentucky. Professionally, I lead digital marketing at UofL Health. In my spare time, I have a business called Made By Jay Lane where I make custom handcrafted Bourbon barrel heads, wood art, signs and more. I also love hobbies and host a weekly podcast called My Awesome Hobby.
I graduated from Western Kentucky University in May 1999 with an Advertising degree and plans to work in a traditional advertising agency. I ended up joining a small three-person marketing shop that was just starting to build websites as the Internet was becoming mainstream.
I quickly became interested in building websites and taught myself Dreamweaver (industry-leading development software at the time) and started building websites myself. That led to my second job where I was hired as a full-time web developer for a software development company. I pretty quickly learned that I wasn’t cut out to be a developer. Over the next few years, I moved between an Internet startup (that let me go after three months), computer training, a video gaming start-up and a sales role at a local media company.
In 2004, I transitioned full-time into the digital strategy, project management, and leadership side of things working for a local mid-sized advertising agency. I love this space because things move so quickly and I really enjoy learning new things.
Throughout my career, I have run my own websites and blogs as a “copy and paste coder.” This experience along with my early experience as a full-time developer has been invaluable for me because it’s helped me better understand the website development process and I can guide others through it.
Professional Digital Marketing Experience
As I outlined above, I officially got my start in the digital marketing strategy space in 2004. From then to 2012, I moved between several local advertising agencies and running my own consulting business.
Since 2012, I have held various digital marketing strategy and leadership roles with healthcare organizatons. I am currently Director of Digital Strategies at UofL Health where I oversee all digital marketing efforts including our consumer-facing websites, social media, online reputation, paid campaigns and metrics/reporting.
Here’s a quick run-down of my digital marketing and strategy experience going back to 2004:
- Director of Digital Strategies | UofL Health | January 2019 to Present
- Director, Digital Strategy | Haven Behavioral Healthcare, Inc. | August 2018 to August 2019
- Consultant, Trainer & Educator, Owner | Jay Lane Media | April 2008 to December 2019
- Director of Marketing & Digital Strategy | Springstone, Inc. | May 2016 to July 2018
- Digital Strategy Consultant (Senior Products) | Humana | June 2015 to May 2016
- Social Strategy Consultant & Community Manager (Individual & Medicare Products) | Humana | December 2013 to June 2015
- Digital Strategy Consultant (HumanaVitality) | Humana | October 2012 to December 2013
- Digital Marketing Strategist | Power Creative | June 2010 to October 2012
- Director, Interactive Services | New West | October 2007 to September 2009
- Interactive Marketing Strategist | Power Creative | September 2005 to October 2007
- Account Executive, Interactive | Bisig Impact Group | June 2004 to September 2005
You can read more about my experience and specific roles on my LinkedIn page. Are we connected?
Teaching & Training
I have a curious mind and really enjoy learning new things. I enjoy sharing what I’ve learned with others and have taught 100+ digital marketing classes/seminars geared towards executives, small business owners, and professionals.
You can read more about my teaching and training experience here.
I’ve loved creating and figuring out how to do things for as long as I can remember. My favorite pastime is woodworking. I got started in 2005 when I wanted to build my own poker table. I found plans online, borrowed my uncle’s tools/garage and created a poker table that I am still proud of today. Since then, I have since completed dozens of traditional woodworking projects including 14+ poker tables, book shelves, other furniture and more.
I now focus most of my time on my side business, Made By Jay Lane, where I make custom Bourbon barrel heads, wood art, signs and more.
Other Creative Projects
In addition to my woodworking projects, I’ve found other fun things to work on including a book I wrote for new dads, my now dormant Video Gaming Dad blog, custom LEGO builds and several video gaming-related ventures.